Friday, February 23, 2018

Now I know my ABC’s

I have to say when I finally discovered my vocation that of becoming a teacher, I knew it was my true calling. I loved every second of it. I loved how the children came to school like little sponges, some of them learned differently and so I had to create ways for some kids to learn. But I didn’t like to see anyone fail. I was hard on myself if a child failed, because I’ve always believed that EVERY SINGLE CHILD IS CAPABLE OF LEARNING! 

One day as I was making dinner, Jordan Grace kept coming up to me and wanting to touch the stove to reach up to see what I was cooking. I was in a rush to finish dinner because as usual we had some kind of activity after for Ana María. 

I kept telling her to go get her toys but she wouldn’t have any of it, I finally grabbed the Leap Frog letters from the fridge and placed them on the floor away from the kitchen to entertain her. 

And that was the moment, the moment when she stopped me on my tracks, when I forgot about whatever was on the stove and honestly, I didn’t care if it burned or not. I also dropped to my knees and hugged her so tight, I cried and yelled “thank you God for this moment.” 

Because what she did was amazing! She began to grab each letter held it up for me to see and said the letter. They weren’t in order, she would just randomly pick them up from the ground, as I had desperately dropped them, and run back to stir whatever was on the pan. 

All that work, all those different activities I had placed in front of her, I’m not exactly sure what the magical teaching tool was but I’m positive it had a lot to do with consistency, perseverance, repetition and determination. I already knew she was capable! 

No matter how much we stress about our children typical or not, of how long it will take them to learn something, they will do it in their own time. But for my girls, it has always been a variaty of different tools.

Here are some of Jordan Grace’s favorite abc products. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment