Sunday, October 18, 2015

Her Heart: beat and defect

Jordan Grace's journey began long before we found out we were pregnant. It began with having baby fever, with my daughter asking for a sister almost daily, with trying and praying month after month, with testing and words of encouragement from our doctor and family. And then one glorious day, the pregnancy test finally showed positive! 

We couldn't have been happier, we double checked with a blood test just to make sure, after all, we wanted to tell our daughter the great news but didn't want to disappoint her if we had to keep trying. 

Our Doctor sent us for an early ultrasound since we would be traveling out of the country for a long period of time. We wanted to make sure this sweet baby was healthy.

The ultrasound was so touching and amazing! To only be able to see the baby's heart beat was magical! Of course our daughter, just 5 years old couldn't understand that little dot was a baby in my belly. 

The weeks went by with planning, imagining and cleaning...we had the regular pregnancy testings and everything looked good! 

And then we would get a chance to see our sweet baby again on a medical screen, we smiled all the way to our appointment! Like little kids heading to the toy store, we couldn't contain our excitement.

The technician was very serious and doing her job, I was still giddy with excitement and kept making little jokes, to which she wouldn't laugh at, she just stayed focused on her job. After what seemed like an hour of trying to re position my baby, she finally said, "I will show these to the doctor, don't be alarmed if he comes in to talk to you, sometimes they do"

But I was alarmed when he finally came in, because I've had a few ultrasounds before and the doctors never had to come in to talk to me. 

But this time he came in and the rest was a blur, something about a heart condition, baby would need surgery...I remember crying, and I remember fear like I've never felt before. I remember my precious Ana Maria looking at me with a puzzled look and my hubby just as scared as I was with tears in his eyes. 

I had to step out of the room so I went to the restroom and cried for a good few minutes. When I managed to get a hold of myself and ask God for help, I walked back into the room to see my worried loved ones waiting for my next move. 

My next move? Well, we weren't going to find out the sex, we wanted to wait like we did with our first little angel. But at this point my biggest worry was that this baby may not make it to see our world, therefore my next step was to find out if it was a boy or a girl! The technician said with sad eyes "it's a girl" and my daughter got her wish in those little words! So right then and there her name became Jordan Grace.
I suddenly was grateful that my Ana Maria's wish had come true but I had never been more nervous to walk, run or go up and down the stairs. I thought with one little move I could lose our sweet little wish come true...

No comments:

Post a Comment