Thursday, October 27, 2016

I didn't count on you!

My dearest daughter, I am so happy to tell you that when I got pregnant I was counting on a normal pregnancy, delivery and baby.
  At twenty weeks of you developing inside, we were told that you had a heart defect.  We were scared, we were prayerful, among other feelings we’ve never felt before.  But the doctors didn’t stop at that, they also gave us the diagnosis of Down syndrome.  
 
This diagnosis brought us to our knees in pain.  We had never known anyone with Down syndrome, we had no idea what to expect.  You still had to develop for another twenty weeks.  Those days and months were filled with questions of why, tears, fear, uncertainty, and many dark moments I never imagined.
 
Somewhere along those long days my heart settled.  I knew I loved you from the moment you were created.  We wanted you so dearly, we tried for you for so long, so when you were finally a reality, we fell in love immediately.  I’m just sorry we had our doubts about your future.  When my heart accepted both diagnosis I couldn’t wait to finally hold you in my arms. 
 
One sweet February morning, three weeks before your due date, I knew you were on your way.  I went in to the hospital for a check-up and then I had to call daddy to let him know he had to come because we were going to meet you soon.  Sissy made it just in time after school, she got to feel my belly one more time, then went to the chapel to pray while you made your grand entrance.  Labor was fast, almost painless and easy. It was like a sweet movie, the doctor was amazing, she pulled you out and placed you on my chest as you looked up to me with trust and joy.  In that moment, I knew I would do everything in my power to change the minds of people all over the world.  
 
I didn’t count on you to have my heart so deeply, I didn’t count on you teaching me about life.  I didn’t count on you showing me about what love is all about.  I didn’t count on you to be so “normal.”  You have taught us that Down syndrome is just a little something extra you have, not something you are.  I thought it was all up to me to teach the world about you, but you are winning everyone’s heart as you meet them, by just being you. 
 
I didn’t count on you, I couldn’t feel more blessed that our dreams came true in a way we didn’t envision.  You came true in your own unique and special way.  You bring a certain kind of love that needs to be spread.  
 
My precious daughter, I’m glad you were sent to us, to be in our family, in our lives, how lucky are we to know and love someone like beautiful you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment